In the world of Tron, Light Discs are indispensable and powerful weapons. No “program” should be without one. This craft lets kids create their own Light Discs and then test their tossing skills in a spin on the classic ring toss party game.
What You’ll Need
- Materials for Light Discs (makes 4 Light Discs): 2 – 12″ x 18″ pieces black stiffened felt, such as East Felt
- 4 Pieces adhesive backed felt, neon colors
- Adhesive backed felt letters, for decorating
- Fabric paint in neon colors, for decorating
- Materials for Pegboards:: 3 – 7-inch round wooden plaques (found at craft supply stores)
- 3 – 12-inch long wooden dowels, each 1/2-inch in diameter
- Glow-in-the-dark acrylic paint, assorted colors
- 3 nails
- Adhesive backed felt numbers
How To Play
- Instructions for Light Discs: Print the Light Disc template on card stock and cut out both pieces. Remove the inner circle from each piece.
- Trace the Light Disc template onto the 12″ x 18″ felt and cut out (two discs should fit on each piece of felt).
- Trace the inner disc template onto four pieces of neon adhesive backed felt and cut out each piece.
- Remove paper backing and stick the felt circles around the inner hole of each Light Disc.
- Decorate Light Discs using felt letters or fabric paint. If using fabric paint, remember to let discs dry before moving on to the next step.
- Cut eight slits in each Light Disc where indicated on the template; two at the top, two at the bottom and two on each side.
- Bend the glo-stick bracelets to make them glow, then slide bracelets through the slits on each Light Disc, connecting them with bracelet fasteners.
- Practice tossing your Light Disc — it will fly just like a Frisbee.
- To Assemble Pegboards: Paint the plaques and dowels. Let dry.
- When dry, flip the boards over and hammer a nail into the center of each board. The sharp end of the nail will poke through the top of the board.
- Place the end of your wooden dowel onto the nail and hammer the top, joining the dowel with the wooden plaque.
- Use felt numbers to assign a point value to each dowel. Try 10, 20 and 30 points.
- To Play the Game: First, determine a tossing line.
- Set up your pegboards a few feet from the toss line. Place the board with the lowest value closest to the toss line and the board with the highest value farthest away. If you are playing with younger kids, keep the pegs and toss line close together.
- Have kids line up at the toss line and take turns tossing their discs. Let each child toss their disc three times, and keep a tally of the points earned by landing a disc on a peg. The child with the highest score wins.
If prepping this game for a party, be sure to have one disc for each child, and make the pegboards in advance.
Never throw discs near other people.
Children should be supervised while playing this game. Keep the peg boards out of reach of children when not in use.