Here’s a craft for the little one in your ship who loves the #PiratesLife. This DIY telescope is resourceful, adventurous, and the perfect way to keep an eye out for Pirates!
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales is now playing in theaters.
What You’ll Need
- 3 cardboard toilet paper rolls
- 1 cardboard paper towel roll
- Gold paint
- Scrapbook paper featuring a faux leather or woodgrain pattern
- Glue or tape
- Clear plastic (Reuse a plastic to-go box container!)
- Blue and black permanent markers
How To Make It
- Begin by cutting along the length of two of the toilet paper rolls and the paper towel roll.
- To make the telescope collapsible, roll each cardboard roll slightly thinner than the next. Glue or tape each roll at the desired width. You should be able to stack all of the rolls into the largest.
- Paint all four pieces of cardboard gold. Let dry.
- Assemble by sliding each one a little ways into the next and gluing in place.
- Use the largest cardboard roll to trace a circle onto plastic. Carefully cut out and check that it fits inside the roll like a window.
- Use permanent marker to draw the ocean and the Black Pearl silhouette onto the plastic.
- Glue plastic circle into the end of the largest cardboard roll.
- Cut out a piece of scrapbook paper that looks like wood or leather and wrap around the end of the largest roll. Make sure to slightly cover the plastic to give it a clean edge.
- Look through your telescope and see the Black Pearl on the high seas!
All cutting and gluing should be supervised by an adult.