Lots of colorful starfish live under the sea with Ariel, but this beautiful necklace brings them onto land. Use salt dough to create starfish beads. Paint them in pretty pastels, and sprinkle them with glitter. It’s a necklace any princess would be proud to wear.
Time: 30 minutes
What You’ll Need
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/2 cup water
- Star shaped cookie cutters
- Cookie sheet
- Acrylic paints
- Pony beads
- Cotton braiding cord
How To Make It
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Combine flour, salt and water in a small bowl. Stir until the dough forms a ball.
- Place the ball on a floured surface. Knead the dough, adding flour if it’s too sticky.
- Roll the dough to a 1/4″ thickness, then cut star shapes using cookie cutters. Place the stars on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Use a toothpick to make a small hole at the end of each star. This will be for threading the star onto the necklace.
- Bake the stars for 2 hours, or until firm.
- Remove baked stars from the oven and let cool.
- Put newspaper or scrap paper over your work surface, then paint the stars in bright sea-inspired colors.
- While still wet, sprinkle stars with glitter.
- Let dry and then tap off excess glitter.
- Cut a length of braiding cord long enough to fit around your child’s head comfortably.
- Fold the cord in half and push the loop through the hole at the top of the star.
- Pull the remaining cord back through the loop and tighten to hold the star in place.
- String pony beads on each end of the cord and tie the ends together.