Carve a pumpkin in the likeness of BB-8 from Star Wars: The Force Awakens in honor of National Pumpkin Day! Watch the video tutorial on YouTube.
Time: 3 hours
What You’ll Need
- 2 pumpkins (large and small)
- Pumpkin carving kit
- Painter’s tape (large, medium, and small rolls)
- Paint brush
- Fine grain sand paper
- Acrylic paints: black, white and orange
- Paint pen
- Small round object (We used a styrofoam craft glitter ball, painted black.)
- Large round object (We used half of a clear plastic ornament found at a craft store.)
- 2 plastic coffee stirring straws
- Ballpoint pen
- Translucent silver pen
How To Make It
- Use a large roll of painter’s tape to trace a circle at the top of the small pumpkin. Carve out the circle, remove, and clean out pumpkin using a pumpkin carving kit.
- Using a smaller roll of painter’s tape, trace 2 circles on the front of the small pumpkin. Carve out.
- Prep pumpkins for painting by lightly sanding.
- Coat pumpkins with white paint and let dry.
- While the paint on the pumpkins is drying, cut out BB-8 reference patterns. Use a T-pin to set template into place and trace using a ballpoint pen.
- Paint according to the patterns. Repeat pattern painting until all of BB-8’s details are on the pumpkin. Use a ballpoint pen / silver pen for details. (We liked the ballpoint pen because the ink doesn’t bleed through.)
- Paint the inside of the small pumpkin black.
- Attach painter’s tape around the outside edge of the clear ornament and paint edge black. Once dry, remove tape, and insert into large opening.
- Insert black Styrofoam ball into small opening.
- Sand coffee straws to prep for paint. Paint white and attach at top of small pumpkin.
- For an added detail, add rhinestones to corners of grey patterns.
All cutting and pumpkin carving should be done by an adult.
Posted 3 years Ago
Posted 3 years Ago