Mee-mee-mee-meet Beaker! While this endearing lab assistant may rightly bristle at Dr. Bunsen Honeydew’s hapless inventions, his shock of orangey-red hair and big round eyes make him the perfect test subject for a whimsical paintbrush puppet.
What You’ll Need
- Craft sponge
- Orange craft paint
- 2-inch wooden chip brush
- Paper towel
- 2 small googly eyes (½ inch wide)
- 2 white buttons (¾ to 1 inch wide)
- Tacky glue or glue dots
- Red sticky-back felt
- Orange pompom (about 1 inch wide)
How To Make It
- Dip a portion of the craft sponge in orange paint and use it to tint the bristles of the chip brush. Once the bristles are evenly colored, dab the brush on the paper towel to remove any excess paint (do not rinse the brush). Set the brush aside to dry completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare Beaker’s eyes. Use the scissor to cut off the tops of the googly eyes. Remove the black centers and glue them to the centers of the white buttons. Tip: If the buttonholes still show, you can fill them with bits of paper towel or cotton batting pushed into place with the tip of a toothpick.
- Cut a frowning mouth shape from the red sticky-back felt (about 1 inch high and 1¼ inch across the bottom). Remove the backing and stick the felt to the base of the chip brush, as shown.
- Glue the assembled eyes to the brush so that they slightly overlap the base of the bristles. Glue on the pompom for Beaker’s nose.
- For the finishing touch, randomly snip out a few small sections of the bristles to give Beaker’s hair its characteristic disheveled appearance, and your puppet is ready to perform.
Posted 3 years Ago