In partnership with Walmart.
Recreate Belle’s story again and again with your very own DIY village. Use an old cardboard box to build a diorama scene that looks just like the little town that Belle lives in.
Time: 1 hour
What You’ll Need
- Medium-sized cardboard box
- Large poster-sized paper (blue and brown)
- Double-sided tape
- Construction paper or cardstock in various colors (white, cream, light brown, dark brown, grey, green, yellow, orange)
- Glue stick
- Hot glue
- Small wooden dowels (3/16″ diameter)
- Small rocks
- Miniature spring topiaries
How To Make It
- Place cardboard box on its side and open the flaps, so you can see into the box.
- Trim blue poster-sized paper to cover the entire back wall of the box. This will be the sky. Use double-sided tape to attach to the box.
- Trim large brown poster-sized paper to cover the floor of the scene. If you’d like, lightly brush a brown crayon over the paper to add some texture. Use double-sided tape to attach.
- Cut construction paper into various rectangular shapes to make buildings for your town. Cut out triangle shapes for your roof, and squares for the windows.
- To add texture to the roof of your buildings, cut scallop shapes or rectangular tile shapes from brown construction paper and layer them. Use a glue stick to attach.
- Finally add some wood-paneling detail to the buildings with thin strips of brown construction paper.
- To create the well, cut a 7” x 2” strip of grey paper and connect the ends to make a circle shape. This will become the base of the well. Add a blue circle to the top to make the water.
- Cut a circle (approximately 8” round.) Fold the circle in half three times. When you unfold, there should be eight triangle shapes folded into the circle. This will become the top of the well.
- Place 4 wooden dowels around the outside of the well. Attach with hot glue.
- For finishing details, cut 1/4 of a circle to make a sun. Use double-sided tape to attach to the sky. Cut a green piece of paper, small rocks, and miniature topiaries to add some greenery elements to the scene.
All hot gluing and cutting should be supervised by an adult.