Thanks to Target for sponsoring this article.
Add some enchantment and adventure to a Belle-inspired picnic with this fun and simple DIY. Made from a t-shirt and stamped with a rose, this tote bag craft will carry all of your favorite books and snacks.
Find Disney Princess toys, like Belle’s Magical Tea Party Cart by JAKKS Pacific and Hasbro’s Belle Shimmer Doll, available at Target. Each sold separately.
Disney’s Beauty and the Beast is available on Digital HD and Disney Movies Anywhere.
Time: 1 hour
What You’ll Need
- Rose template
- Regular paper or cardstock
- Utility blade
- Cutting board or craft mat
- Yellow / gold t-shirt
- Cardboard or wax paper
- Repositionable adhesive spray
- Paper plate or paint palette
- Fabric paint
- Paintbrush (stencil brush)
How To Make It
- Print the Belle Rose Template on regular paper or cardstock.
- Have an adult use a utility blade to cut out the rose. Make sure to cover your working surface with a cutting board or craft mat. Helpful tip: If you accidentally cut too far, use a piece of clear tape to cover the cut and cut again to the correct shape.
- Lay the t-shirt flat and place a piece of wax paper or cardboard inside.
- Use the adhesive spray on the back of the template. Press the template firmly on the front of the shirt at least 3” below the collar. This will help create clear, crisp lines.
- Pour a small amount of fabric paint on a paper plate or paint palette. Use a stencil brush to dab the paint up and down onto the stencil. Avoid brush strokes as that could move the stencil.
- Carefully remove template and let dry about 10 minutes.
- Once dry, fold the shirt inside out and then in half. Ensure that the t-shirt is smooth and flat.
- Carefully cut the collar of the shirt, starting roughly 2” from the top. Cut the sleeves off of the shirt. Your shirt should now look like a tank top.
- Cut a 1” strip off the bottom edge of the t-shirt.
- Use the removed strip of fabric to gather and tie the bottom of the shirt. Trim the extra ends of the knotted fabric.
- Turn the t-shirt inside out so the knot is now inside the bottom of the bag, and the rose is revealed on the outside of the bag.
All cutting should be done by an adult.