One of the greatest gifts Belle receives from Beast is her very own library, which is inspired by her love of books and reading. Encourage your little ones’ own love of books by creating Belle’s library kit, which includes a bookmark and check-out card.
Time: 20 minutes
What You’ll Need
- Packaging tape
- Assorted colors of paper in red, white, and green
- Index cards
- X-Acto knife
- Hole punch
- *Optional: Date stamp
How To Make It
- Instructions for bookmark:
To make this enchanted rose bookmark, begin by cutting a length of packaging tape and laying it on a hard surface, sticky side up.
- Sketch a rounded, bell jar shape onto a white piece of paper and trace around your sketch with an X-Acto knife. Lay this paper cutting onto the packaging tape.
- Cut a circle slightly larger than the size of a hole punch out of white paper and position at the top of the bell jar.
- Using scissors or an X-Acto knife, cut small rose petals out of red paper and fold in half, arranging it onto the packaging tape in a rose shape near the top of your bell jar outline. Starting from the bottom of the rose will give it a more natural look.
- Next, cut a thin strip of green paper and leaves from green paper and position them under the rose on the packaging tape.
- Lay a clear piece of plastic (or second piece of packaging tape) onto the packaging tape strip to seal off your creation.
- Trim off excess around the bell jar outline.
- Punch a hole into the circle at the top of the jar and string a ribbon through it to finish the bookmark.
- Instructions for library check-out card:
Cut a rectangle of paper slightly larger than a 3×5 index card out of off-white paper.
- Cut a strip of red paper (roughly 3”x6”) and fold around the bottom half of the first off-white rectangle to create a pocket. Glue or tape it in place.
- To create a name label, cut a small 3”x2” rectangle and paste onto the front of the pocket, labeling it with your name of choice.
- Tuck an index card into the pocket and attach to a book with double sided tape for a fun way to track your reading or share your book with friends.
All cutting should be done by an adult.