With Earth Day being this weekend, what better way to celebrate than by re-using materials to create something new? Egg cartons are great canvases for painting, and rather than having them go to waste you can create your very own A Bug’s Life inspired craft. Enjoy painting these adorable bugs this weekend while having A Bug’s Life family movie watching party to celebrate Earth Day this weekend!
Time: 1 Hour
What You’ll Need
- 18-count egg carton
- Set of small acrylic paint tubes (You will need yellow, green, red, black, white, blue, purple, and orange)
- Package of multi-colored pipe cleaners
- Large and small flat paintbrushes
- Liquid glue or hot glue gun
- Googly eyes (optional)
- Cut your egg carton to use for your A Bug’s Life characters, cutting a row of 3 for Flik and Atta.
- Using your large flat paintbrush, paint your Flik egg carton light blue (using either light blue paint or mixing white and dark blue together). Paint Atta lavender by mixing dark purple and white, or lavender paint if you have it.
- Once their paint is dry, you can use green paint and a smaller brush to paint a leaf crown on Atta’s head.
- Add googly eyes (or paint on eyes) to Flik and Atta by using either a glue gun on low heat or liquid glue.
- Using a toothpick, poke two hole on the tops of each of their heads, and two holes on each side of their bodies.
- For Atta, cut a purple pipe cleaner in half, and place through the holes you made on top to have as her antennas. Cut another purple pipe cleaner in half, stringing through the four holes you made on the sides for Atta’s arms and legs.
- Repeat step 6 using blue pipe cleaner for Flik.
- Cut a row of two from your egg carton.
- Paint one of the egg carton slots red, and the other black using your larger paintbrush.
- Once dry, use your smaller brush to add black polka dots to Francis.
- Glue on two googly eyes, or paint on eyes if you prefer.
- Poke to wholes at the top of the black section of Francis, and one whole in the center of each side of its body.
- Cut a black pipe cleaner into four pieces. Use two of the pieces for antenna, and the other two remaining pieces for his arms and legs.
- Cut a row of six from your egg carton.
- Paint all of Heimlich’s body bright green, either by using bright green paint, or by adding a dot of green to yellow paint and mixing together.
- Once dry, mix blue and green paints together, and using your smaller brush paint the tops of each egg carton section blue-green.
- Once that part is dry, use your smaller brush to paint orange circles on the top of Heimlich’s body.
- Glue on googly eyes, or paint on his eyes.
- Poke two wholes on the top of Heimlich’s head. Poke five wholes on each side of his body. Cut three orange pipe cleaners into four pieces each. Use two of the pieces for antenna, and the remaining for Heimlich’s legs.