In anticipation of Disney•Pixar’s Cars 3, which hits theaters on June 16th, we wanted to build our very own cardboard cars. With just a few household items and some supplies from your craft corner, you and your little ones can make your own winning design.
What You’ll Need
- Toilet paper roll
- Cardboard or cardstock
- Paint brushes
- Hot glue
- Paper fasteners
How To Make It
- Start by tracing a toilet paper roll five times to create 5 circles on cardboard or cardstock. Carefully cut out each one.
- Paint 4 of the circles with black paint to create tires.
- Paint the remaining cardboard circle red.
- Paint the toilet paper roll red.
- Once dry, cut an eye-shaped windshield from nearly the center of the toilet paper roll. Fold the windshield up. Trim as needed to fine-tune the shape.
- Paint eyes onto the windshield.
- Paint detail onto the tires.
- Paint a smile on the red cardboard circle.
- Using scissors, poke small holes into the middle of the tires and on both sides of the roll.
- Use paper fasteners and attach the tires to the paper towel roll. Bend the ends of the paper fasteners upwards on the inside of the toilet paper roll to secure.
- Finally, glue the cardboard circle to the front of the paper towel roll.
- Repeat these steps in various colors to create all of the characters from the film.
All cutting and hot gluing should be supervised by an adult.