Turn a little hand held fan into Dusty and enjoy a cool breeze all summer long.
Time: 30 minutes
What You’ll Need
- Battery-operated mini personal fan
- Enamel paint for models
- Paint thinner
- Disposable gloves (optional)
How To Make It
- Start with a battery-operated mini personal fan. If you’re lucky, you’ll find one that already has the base color of the Disney’s Planes character you want to make. If not, you can always paint the body of the fan with the character’s main color.
- To make the eyes, use a fine paintbrush to paint a white trapezoid above the “propeller” blades. Allow to dry for a few minutes. Clean off your paintbrush with some paint thinner each time you change colors.
- Next, paint on the eyelids using a paint color that matches the body color. Allow a few minutes to dry.
- Paint on the irises of the eyes in the appropriate color. Allow a few minutes to dry and clean your brush.
- Finish off the eyes by adding black pupils and outlining the shapes.
- Paint the character’s body. For Dusty, paint a block of white paint on each side and on the “belly” and then added a blue stripe along the top. Take care not to paint shut the battery opening or the on/off switch. Remember that enamel paint takes longer to dry than typical acrylic craft paints, so be careful about setting the fan down. Place the fan in a safe place to dry completely overnight.
Painting on smooth plastic can be a bit tricky. Regular acrylic paints may work, but for a project like this that is meant to be handled a lot and tossed into a purse or backpack, you’ll want to use a paint that is intended for painting on plastic. Enamel hobby paints, used for painting model cars, planes, etc. will stick to plastic better with less risk of it scratching off. Lightly sanding the surface of the plastic may also help the paint to stick without chipping. If you do need to use the paint thinner to clean your skin, be sure to wash your skin thoroughly with soap and water after all the paint has been removed.
Paint thinner should only be used by an adult.