Capture the smiles as they head back-to-school with a chalkboard picture frame featuring Mickey Mouse. It’s perfect for the first day of school photo, and you can customize it each year as kids grow. In the days leading up to the school year, help little ones choose their outfit and backpack, and then craft this colorful photo frame together. Kids will love painting the frame, and adding fun details, like Mickey shapes and a paper pennant flag garland.
What You’ll Need
- Printable sun & book templates (Click “Download PDF” above)
- Mickey Mouse template
- Colorful cardstock paper
- Hot glue
- Velcro dots
- Picture frame
- Chalkboard paint
How To Make It
- Download and print out the Mickey Mouse template. Trace around the Mickey shape onto cardstock in various colors. Carefully cut out.
- Use the scraps of colorful cardstock to cut out mini triangles to create the pennant flag garland. Attach to twine with hot glue. Let dry.
- Download and print out the attached template featuring the book and sun shapes. Carefully cut out.
- Add Velcro dots to the back of the Mickey shapes and the sun and book shapes. Set aside.
- Paint the picture frame with chalkboard paint. Let dry.
- Hot glue the pennant flag garland into place, just above where your child’s face will appear.
- Attach the other side of the Velcro dots to the picture frame to add the Mickey shapes and book and/or sun shape.
- Use chalk to write “First Day of School” and the grade your child is starting around the frame. Switch out the grade for each child in your family, and as they grow year after year!
- When summer arrives, switch out the book for the sun and write “Last Day of School” for a perfect set of photos to bookend the school year.
All cutting and hot gluing should be done by an adult.