As avid crafters, we’re always looking for ways to reuse household items like empty paper towel rolls. We put our thinking caps on and decided that a drink carrier tray would make the perfect base for a DIY castle inspired by the newest Disney Princess, Elena of Avalor! Keep reading to find out how we made it.
And don’t miss an all-new Elena of Avalor every Saturday at 9a on Disney Channel & 11a on Disney Junior!
Time: 2 hours
What You’ll Need
- 4 toilet paper rolls
- 1 paper towel roll
- 1 4-cup drink carrier made of recycled fiber
- Red, blue, white and gold paint
- Paint brushes
- Hot glue
How To Make It
- Prepare the pieces of the castle by cutting one toilet paper roll in half to create two shorter rolls.
- Use a second toilet paper roll to cut out the castle entrance, five half circles, three flag poles, three flags, and two spires.
- Paint all toilet paper roll pieces, the drink carrier, and flag poles white. Paint the flags red. Paint the spires gold. Paint two of the half circles blue, and three of the half circles gold.
- Glue the blue tops to the taller toilet paper rolls. Glue the gold tops to the short toilet paper rolls and the paper towel roll. Glue on flags and spires.
- Decorate each top with a pattern. Decorate the entrance with blue and gold paint. Decorate the base with extra small towers and buildings around the front and sides.
- Glue the entrance to the base, and then glue the two shorter gold towers to the front of the base. Glue the blue pieces to the back of the base, and glue the tall gold piece in between the two blue towers.
All cutting and hot gluing should be done by an adult.