When it came time for Mulan to meet the matchmaker, she knew how important it was to make a good impression. To keep all the proper traditions straight, she printed tips on her inner arm so she could steal glimpses of them while she waved a pretty fan. By folding together contrasting sheets of wrapping paper and then trimming the edges with craft scissors, you can make a lacy paper fan as decorative as Mulan’s.
Time: 20 minutes
What You’ll Need
- Solid color gift wrap (7- by 18-inch piece)
- Patterned gift wrap (14- by 18-inch piece)
- Paper or craft scissors
- Paper hole punch
- 6 pony beads
How To Make It
- Fold the patterned gift wrap in half, matching up the longer edges and making sure the printed design is facing out. Use the edge of the ruler to press the fold so that you have a sharp crease.
- Sandwich the solid gift wrap, colored side up, between the layers of the patterned paper.
- Fold the layered paper accordion-style, creating inch-wide pleats. Again, use the ruler to press the creases flat. Then, remove the solid gift wrap from the center and set it aside.
- Refold the patterned paper. Cut a series of half circles along the tops of the pleats as you would if you were making a paper snowflake. For an extra decorative look, you can also punch a series of holes in the center each pleat. When you’re done, re-insert the solid color gift wrap into the center.
- Next, use the paper hole punch to create a series of holes along the bottom of the fan, positioning them 3/4 inch above the edge and centered in each pleat.
- Thread the ribbon through the holes and tie a bow. String three pony beads onto the ribbon tails and then knot the ends to keep them from sliding off.
Cutting should be done by an adult.