Rev your creative engines! Gather your trusty pit crew and make these Cars-inspired box car costumes. Add McQueen and Mater’s signature detailing, and your little ones are ready to have some serious fun.
Fuel up on all things Cars, and celebrate Cars Week now through February 17th. Watch new videos on the Racing Sports Network in DisneyNOW or on YouTube, and discover the latest sweepstakes on Disney.com.
What You’ll Need
- 20” x 16” x 10” cardboard box
- Painter’s plastic
- Spray paint: glossy red and matte brown
- Packaging tape
- Hot glue gun and glue
- 8 9-inch diameter black paper plates
- 8 small round stickers
- 8 push pins
- Small screwdriver
- Construction paper (white, light blue, cream, light green, yellow)
- Black marker
- Paper towel tube
- Wire cutters
How To Make It
- Take your box and undo one of the sides so you can lay it flat, with all of the outside surfaces showing.
- Lay down painter’s plastic that will cover the ground under the box with at least a foot of extra plastic on all sides.
- Use the spray paint to cover the box with either bright, glossy red for Lightning McQueen or the matte brown for Mater. Let it dry.
- Use the packaging tape (and some hot glue for extra hold if necessary) to reattach the side of the box you removed to make it three dimensional again.
- Leaving the top flap out to become your car’s windshield, fold all of the flaps down into the box and tape them flat.
- Take your black plate and place a round sticker in the center.
- Use push pins to attach the paper plates to your car. (Add some hot glue to secure the plate to the cardboard if necessary.)
- Take the small screwdriver and make a hole on either side of the windshield and either side of the back.
- Make the straps. Thread ribbon through the hole going from inside the box to outside the box, tying off the end in a knot. Take it across to the other side and adjust the strap length. Then make a cut before tying off that end too.
- Finally, decorate your car! For Lightning McQueen, cut out shapes with the construction paper to finish off the craft: light blue for eyes, white for the windshield, white for teeth, and yellow for lightning bolt racing stripe. Then, use the black marker to draw in the eyes and teeth.
- For Mater, cut out a hook from the cardboard and grab a paper towel tube. Spray paint both with the matte brown spray paint. Use a hot glue gun to attach the painted paper towel tube to the back of the box. Then cut a piece of wire and attach one end to the end of the paper towel tube and the hook onto the other end. Next, cut out construction paper to finish off the craft: light green for eyes, cream for the windshield, and cream for teeth. Then use the black marker to draw in the eyes and teeth.
Cutting and gluing should be done by an adult.