Of all her menacing cohorts, it is Maleficent’s pet raven Diablo that she most relies on. Cluching the magic glowing ball atop her staff — or perching atop her shoulder with wings spread wide — he is ever by her side. Unless of course he’s circling far and wide, as ordered, in search of a certain princess the villainess’ henchmen failed to find. Or stopping in to set a spooky mood in your family’s haunt this Halloween!
Time: 30 minutes
What You’ll Need
- Scrapbook paper or cardstock (black, orange, and white)
- Black marker
- Glue stick
- 2 orange pipe cleaners
- Glue dots
How To Make It
- Print out the template and cut out the pieces. For the body, fold a piece of black cardstock in half and position the body template on top of it so that the flat portion of the back is along the fold, as shown. Trace around the template and cut out the template, leaving the portion along the fold intact. Cut out a pair of wings from black paper as well.
- From orange scrapbook paper, cut out a pair of beak pieces and a pair of eyelids for both sides of the bird. Keep in mind that once you’ve cut the pieces for one side, you’ll need to flip the template pieces over (print side down) so you can cut a mirror image of the pieces for the other side. Cut two eyeballs out of white paper and draw a pupil on each.
- Snip notches (to resemble feathers) in the end of the raven’s tail and the lower edges of the wings. Then glue the tops of the wings to the body (one wing on each side).
- Glue the beak pieces in place on both sides of the raven. Then assemble the eyes, as shown, and glue one onto each side of the bird as well.
- For each of the raven’s legs, accordion-fold the end of a pipe cleaner to create four 1-inch V-shapes for the toes, as shown.
- Then bend the first V to the back to serve as the spur.
- Next, wrap the pipe cleaner once around the foot between the spur and front three toes, and bend the end straight up to create the leg above the foot. Shape the toes by curling the ends down slightly.
- Finally, use glue dots to attach the leg tops to the inner body, and spread the legs apart a bit to balance the weight so the raven will stand.
Cutting should be done by an adult.