Make Mickey and Minnie the center of your holiday table by adding the iconic ears and a little Christmas décor to simple pedestal jars. Fill them with candy so they become a sweet treat for your friends and family.
Get guests involved at your next holiday party by using your centerpiece as a fun “guess how many candies are in the jar” game.
Time: 60 minutes
What You’ll Need
- 3 regular pedestal jars with lids
- Painter’s tape
- Red, green and gold spray paint
- Chalk or marker
- Black and white foam
- Hot glue gun
- Red and white polka dot ribbon
- Christmas ribbon
- Green garland, gold tinsel, holly leaves, red foil bows
- Holiday candies and candy canes
- Small red, green and gold ornaments
How To Make It
- Separate the glass, bases and lids of three regular pedestal jars. If the jars do not separate from the bases, cover the glass with painter’s tape. Set the bases and lids on sheets of old newspaper and spray one matching base and lid with red, one with gold and one with green paint. Let the paint dry, then remove the tape if you used it.
- Trace around a circular object with chalk six times on a piece of black foam to create three pairs of mouse ears. A cake plate or round coaster should be ideal but choose an item to trace that’s an appropriate size for your pedestal jars. Cut out the ear shapes with scissors.
- Reassemble the glass, bases and lids of the pedestal jars. Apply a 2- to 3-inch line of hot glue along the inner edge of one of the mouse ears and immediately press it onto the glass part of one of the jars so that it sticks out to the left. Hold the ear in place with your fingers until the glue has dried. Glue a second ear so that it sticks out at the right side of the jar in the same manner. Repeat this for the two other jars.
- Draw two small ovals on white foam to resemble Mickey’s buttons. Cut them out and glue them to the front of the red pedestal jar base, about 1 inch apart. The red base should now resemble Mickey’s shorts.
- Tie pieces of red and white polka dot ribbon around the handles on top of the green and gold pedestal jar lids to resemble Minnie’s bow.
- Wrap strands of green garland around the bases of the jars. Arrange other festive decorations, such as strands of gold tinsel, holly leaves and red foil bows, around the bases of the jars. Glue these decorations in place if necessary.
- Arrange the three jars in the middle of the dinner table as a centerpiece that becomes a party game for the family. Fill a with small red, gold and green ornaments. Fill the other two jars with red and green candies and candy canes. Count the candies as you put them in the jar and make a secret note of the total number.
- Have every member of the family guess how many candies there are in the middle jar. Whoever is the closest to the correct number wins the centerpiece full of candy.
Work in a well-ventilated area when you are using spray paint.
Cutting, spray painting and hot gluing should only be done by an adult.
If you can’t find red and white polka dot ribbon, buy plain red ribbon and paint white polka dots all over it.