Add a little Disney magic to your tree by crafting this sparkling Mickey ornament.
Time: 1 hour
What You’ll Need
- 3 small balloons
- Liquid starch
- Ball of cotton string – any color
- Glitter – any color
- Safety pin
- Dowel or hanger
- Hot melt glue
- Glue gun
How To Make It
- Blow up a balloon until it is slightly smaller than the size of your fist to use for Mickey’s head. Blow up two more balloons to about the size of golf balls to use for Mickey’s ears.
- Tie a piece of string around the end of each balloon. You will use this string to hang your balloons to dry in step 8.
- Cut several pieces of cotton string, long enough to wrap around the balloon several times. We recommend about 18 to 24 inches for each piece to make it easier to work with and less likely to tangle. You can cut more string depending on how full you want your ornament to be.
- Fill a small bowl with liquid starch and dip your first piece of string into the bowl to coat it with starch.
- Gently wrap the string horizontally around your balloon. You can then switch directions when you wrap the second string around your balloon. Continue wrapping your balloon until it’s covered to your satisfaction.
- Working over a trash can or bowl, sprinkle glitter onto the balloon.
- Repeat steps 3-6 for the other two balloons.
- Hang the balloons from a dowel or hanger so they can dry overnight. Place napkins or newspaper under the hanging balloons in case they drip.
- Once they are dry, pop the balloons with a safety pin and carefully remove them with tweezers.
- To assemble your Mickey ornament, attach the two smaller balloons to each side of the larger balloon to create the shape of Mickey’s head. You can either use string or a *hot glue gun to attach the balloons together. *This tool is only intended for use by a grownup.
- Thread a hook or ribbon through your ornament and hang it on your tree.
Cutting and gluing should be done by an adult.
Posted 6 years Ago