Take it from Mickey — Valentine’s Day is no time to be quiet as a mouse. Featuring two big thumbs up, this tote makes an eye-catching carrier for putting all your children’s love letters and cards in the limelight, both the ones they plan to hand out as well as those they collect.
Time: 1 hour
What You’ll Need
- Cotton fabric (black, white, and red)
- Double-sided fusible webbing
- Pressing cloth
- Steam iron
- Straight pins
- Glue dots
- Canvas tote bag
- Black fabric pen
How To Make It
- Print the template and cut out the pieces. Cut rectangular pieces of fabric big enough for the individual template pieces to fit on (red for the heart, white for each glove, and black for the background). Cut matching pieces from the fusible webbing.
- Remove the easy-to-peel paper from one side of the fusible webbing pieces. Next, place the webbing (sticky sides down) atop the matching fabric pieces, and use a pressing cloth and steam iron to fuse them to the cloth per the directions on the package.
- Pin the template pieces to their respective fabrics and cut out the shapes.
- Peel the remaining paper layer away from the webbing on the black fabric background. Then center the fabric on the face of the canvas tote (webbing side down), cover it with the pressing cloth, and use the iron to fuse it to the canvas.
- Likewise, fuse the heart to the center of the black background.
- Use the black fabric pen to draw lines between the fingers of the white glove shapes and to color oval pleats.
- Fuse the gloves to the tote as you did the other pieces, positioning them so that the index fingers are just touching the heart.
Cutting and ironing should be done by an adult.