Here’s a Halloween heads up for Minnie fans: any costume looks better with polka dots. Topped with a pair of distinctive mouse ears and tied with a spotted bow, this classic witch hat is a colorful case in point.
Time: 1 hour
What You’ll Need
- 2 sheets of black poster board
- Glue dots
- Large round object to trace around (such as a pizza stone, or something else approximately 15 inches in diameter)
- Polka-dotted ribbon
How To Make It
- Print out the template and cut out the pieces. Tape the top and bottom pieces of the quarter circle together, so that the straight edges overlap.
- Place the quarter circle template atop a sheet of black poster board, as shown. Trace around the curved edge of the quarter circle (tip: using a white colored pencil will make the tracing more visible).
- Flip over the template piece and again trace around the curve to complete the outline of a semicircle.
- Cut out the semicircle.
- Roll it into a cone to fit your child’s head, securing the overlapped edges with glue dots.
- To create the hat brim, place a pizza stone or other large circular object atop the second sheet of poster board and trace around it. Cut out the tracing.
- Center the cone atop the poster board circle. Trace around the cone.
- Cut a smaller circle out of the center of the traced circle.
- Cut a series of notches extending to the trace line, as shown.
- Fit the cone over the tabs and then glue the tabs to the inner cone, as shown.
- Use glue dots to attach a polka-dotted ribbon hatband around the base of the cone. Then top the band with a bow.
- Now make the ears. For each one, first overlap the paper on the sides of the slit between the lower tabs and use glue dots to secure the shape.
- Fold back the tabs, as shown.
- Glue the ears to the hat, attaching the upper tabs to the cone and the lower tabs to the brim.
Cutting should be done by an adult.