The beach is calling! Create this Moana Terrarium to bring the magic of the ocean home with you! Complete with layers of colored sand and topped off with an air plant, this piece of easy-to-make decor will brighten up any room in your home—but we think it would look adorable in your kiddo’s room. The best part? They can help you put the whole thing together!
Scroll through to learn how to make this colorful DIY.
Want to make a difference to your local beach? Take your family to a nearby shoreline or park and post a picture of your cleanup efforts on social media with the hashtag #HowFarIllGo! Before you head outdoors, make sure you have everything you need by reviewing the simple guidelines here.
For more Disney fun, check out this Moana-inspired workout:
What You’ll Need
- Glass terrarium
- Regular or colored sand
- Zip-top bag, optional
- Green, yellow, pink, and blue food coloring
- Air plant
- Moana play set (like this)
How To Make It
- Start by making sure your terrarium is nice and clean!
- You can either use colored sand (green, teal, pink, and natural) or real sand dyed with food coloring to create colorful layers inside the terrarium.
- To make your own colored sand, start by placing the sand in a zip-top bag. Then add food coloring into the bag, close it, and knead it with your hands to mix in the color. Add more dye as desired. Continue kneading until the color is completely mixed in. Repeat with other colors.
- To make green sand, use 5 drops green and 3 drops yellow. To make pink sand, use 2-5 drops (depending on how dark you want the pink). To make teal sand, use 5 drops blue and 3 drops green. Your top layer will just be natural sand.
- Pour the colored sand onto a baking sheet or flat plate and let it dry overnight.
- Place the sand in the terrarium, one color at a time. DO NOT shake it once the sand is placed inside.
- Then add the air plant. No need to use soil or “plant” it. You can rest it on top of the sand. Just make sure to take it out and soak it in room temperature water for 5-10 minutes about once a week.
- Finally, place your Moana doll (and a friend) inside.