Beginning with their early days at Monsters University, Mike and Sulley have always been quite the pair. Now as a scare team, best friends, and roommates, Mike and Sulley know a thing or two about relationships. Keep reading to find out how to make these Valentine’s Day mailboxes inspired by the most celebrated monsters in Monstropolis.
Time: 1 hour
What You’ll Need
- Round cardboard box
- Construction paper for Mike (green, white, black, blue)
- Hot glue
- Glue stick
- Craft knife
- Empty tissue box
- Tissue paper cut into 2″ squares (blue and purple)
- Construction paper for Sulley (light blue, dark blue, white, black)
How To Make It
- To make Mike Wazowski: Place round cardboard box on green construction paper. Trace shape and cut out paper. Continue tracing until you have enough green paper to cover the entire box, including the lid.
- Hot glue green paper to the outside of the box. Make sure to keep the lid as a separate piece that you can place on and off the box.
- Cut out a medium-sized circle of white construction paper for Mike’s eye. Use a glue stick to attach just above center of the box.
- Cut out a smaller blue circle, and an even smaller black circle for the details of Mike’s eye. Attach with a glue stick. Add one tiny white circle for the highlight in Mike’s eye.
- Cut out a semi-circle shape from black construction paper for Mike’s smile. Add tiny shapes of white construction paper for Mike’s teeth.
- Don’t forget two little horns made of white construction paper on top of Mike’s head. Use hot glue to attach. Let dry completely.
- Remove the lid and have an adult carefully cut out an opening for valentines at the top edge of the Mike Wazowski mailbox.
- To create Sulley: Begin lining the outside of the tissue box blue tissue paper. Crumple each 2″ square to create the effect of Sulley’s fur and attach with hot glue. Every few pieces, add a purple one. Continue until the entire tissue box is covered.
- Cut out the details of Sulley’s face from construction paper, including two white circles, two smaller blue circles, and two even smaller black circles. Use a glue stick to glue the pieces together to create his eyes.
- Cut out two blue eyebrows, a blue nose, and two white horns. And don’t forget a sweet smile from black construction paper, and one white tooth peeking out. Attach each of his facial features to the tissue box with hot glue.
- Place your mailbox on your desk at home or school. Happy Valentine’s Day!
All cutting and hot gluing should be done by an adult.