Create a rope basket inspired by none other than Mickey Mouse! Whether you’re in need of a catch-all, a fruit bowl, or a place to organize odds and ends, this no-sew craft is a great way to add a little Mickey magic to your home or office.
Time: 1 hour
What You’ll Need
- 11 yards of 1/4-inch cotton piping (Available in the upholstery section of your local fabric store.)
- Black fabric dye
- Mini hot glue gun
How To Make It
- Dye 4 yards of the cotton piping, following the dye package instructions, and allow to dry completely.
- Cut the black piping in half. Each 2 yard piece will be used for an ear.
- Using a hot glue gun, begin winding the black piping into a spiral. Glue the center carefully so that the end of the piping is tucked in and doesn’t unravel.
- Continue gluing with small amounts of hot glue.
- In the last couple of rounds, place the next row of cording on the outer edge of the previous row so that a basket shape is formed. Dab hot glue on the end to prevent unraveling.
- Repeat steps 3-5 using the remaining 7 yards of un-dyed white piping to create Mickey’s head. The flat base of the basket should be about 3 ½ inches in diameter.
- Glue each ear onto the head to finish the basket.
All cutting and hot gluing should be done by an adult.