This no-sew Tinker Bell inspired skirt is quick and easy to make. The no-fray fabrics used means there’s no hemming involved. It is intended to be worn over an existing tutu or skirt. Make one up, and you’ll have your own little Tink dancing and fluttering around in no time!
Time: 1 hour
What You’ll Need
- Green felt by-the-yard*
- Green tulle with glitter*
- Hot glue gin & extra glue sticks
- *Yardage depends on skirt size. 1 yard will cover most kid sizes.
- Tutu or other elastic-waist skirt (green, pink or white)
How To Make It
- Use the patterns provided to cut out felt and tulle “leaf” pieces. The number of pieces you need will depend on the child’s waist size, and how full you want the finished skirt to be. For the over skirt it was made to fit over a 3T tutu, cut out 13 leaves each of felt and tulle.
Tip: Cut out several leaves at once by accordion folding your fabric first. Pin the pattern to all layers of fabric and cut out.
- Use sharp scissors to snip slits into the felt and tulle leaves, as indicated on the patterns.
- Cut a piece of elastic that is 3-4 inches larger than the child’s waist. Place a felt leaf on top of a tulle leaf. Run elastic through the slits, coming up from the bottom (wrong side) and then down through the top (right side) into the other slit. Use white, green or pink elastic for your project since some elastic may be seen in the finished product.
- String all of the leaves onto the elastic. Meanwhile, heat up your hot glue gun.
- Check the size of the waist and make sure it will fit comfortably around the child’s waist. Then tie the elastic with a double knot. Pull the knot through the slits until it sits on top of one of the felt leaves. Snip off the ends. Put a small dab of hot glue behind the knot and secure it to the felt leaf.
- Put another dab of hot glue on the tip of the felt leaf. Fold the leaf down and stick the felt to itself, covering the elastic (do not glue the elastic). Repeat for all of the felt leaves. Adjust the leaves around the elastic waist so they are evenly distributed. They should overlap each other a bit.
- Use hot glue to add rhinestones to the felt leaves.
- Wear the skirt over an existing tutu or elastic waist skirt.
Cutting and gluing should be done by an adult.