Create this Once Upon a Time in Wonderland inspired watch box for the true believer in your family. This makes the perfect gift for the holiday or any magical occasion.
Time: 1 hour
What You’ll Need
- Wood box, approximately 4″ x 4″ x 3″
- Wood oval, approximately 3.25″ x 2″
- Inkjet t-shirt transfer paper for dark fabric
- Parchment paper (may be included with inkjet transfer paper)
- Acrylic craft paint: red, gold
- Piece of felt, at least 4″ x 4″
- Craft knife
How To Make It
- Print the PDF of the White Rabbit onto the Inkjet t-shirt transfer paper for dark fabric. Follow manufacturer’s instructions for your print settings. Note that the oval background color on the PDF should be larger than the wooden oval to allow for bleed. Set the print aside to dry while you prepare the box.
Tip: Before you print onto the iron-on transfer paper, you may want to print a draft copy onto plain copy paper to check its size on the wood oval. Then, re-size if needed to make the White Rabbit fit into the oval space.
- Paint the box inside and out with red acrylic craft paint. Use 2-3 thin coats, drying between coats.
- When the paint it dry, brush on 1-2 coats of acrylic sealer, drying between coats (a handheld hair dryer can help speed up this process). Be sure to prop the lid open a tiny bit so that the sealer doesn’t seal the lid shut.
- Measure the inside of the box. Cut a square of felt that will fit into the bottom of the box. Brush a thin layer of glue onto the box bottom and glue the felt to inside bottom of the box.
- By now, the printed White Rabbit should be dry. Cut out the design around the oval and peel off the backing. Pre-heat the iron. Set the iron to the highest setting, no steam (empty any water in the iron), and allow it to heat for 5 minutes.
- Place the White Rabbit design-side-up over the wooden oval. Hold it up to a light source so that you can see where the White Rabbit will be positioned on the wooden oval and adjust as needed.
- Without shifting the paper or wood, carefully place the pieces design-side down onto a cutting surface. Hold the wood firmly in place and carefully cut off any excess paper with a sharp utility craft knife.
- Transfer to an ironing surface with the design face up and the wood oval on bottom. Place a piece of parchment paper on top. Press down firmly on top of the parchment paper and hold for 10 seconds. Lift the iron off sand shift positions, then press again for 10 seconds. Then iron over the design for about a minute, making sure to use firm pressure and move around the edges. Allow to cool for 30 seconds before removing the parchment paper. Check to make sure that the design is adhered to the wood. If it is not, press some more until it has adhered completely.
- Brush on 2 thin coats of sealer, drying between coats. Use a foam brush to edge the oval with gold metallic paint and allow to dry. Brush 1-2 coats of sealer over the oval top and sides. Allow to dry.
- Glue the oval to the top of the box.
Cutting and gluing should be done by an adult.