Stitch loves to surf, Merida is great at archery, and Remy loves to cook. Those are just a few Disney characters with hobbies they love! Make something special for that special someone that reminds them of their fun hobby. A personalized hobby box, decorated or filled with little treasures, is sure to fit the bill.
Time: 1 hour
What You’ll Need
- Wooden boxes (sold at craft stores)
- Fine-grain sandpaper
- Latex wood primer
- Acrylic paints and paintbrushes
- Acrylic varnish
- Hot glue gun
- Assorted items, such as costume jewelry, foreign coins, or golf tees
How To Make It
- To prepare the box for painting, lightly sand the wood and then brush a coat of primer on all its surfaces. Once the sealer dries, lightly sand the box once more.
- Paint the box. This will have to be done in stages (the inside first, the bottom next, and the top and sides last), allowing the paint to dry each time.
- To paint multicolored stripes, as shown on the pencil box, apply strips of Easy Mask KleenEdge tape (sold in most craft or paint stores) in a parallel pattern and paint between them. When the paint dries, remove the tape (it won’t peel off the paint), tape over the freshly painted areas and paint new stripes between them. Once the paint dries, apply a coat of acrylic varnish to protect and enhance the colors and let it dry completely.
- Next, glue a felt liner to the inside of the box. Then glue decorative items that reflect the recipient’s interests onto the top. With items that are hard to stick, try gluing bits of felt to the bottoms and then gluing the felt to the box.
Cutting and gluing should be done by an adult.