Things take a mutinous turn on the Queen Anne’s Revenge once Angelica forces Jack Sparrow aboard. With the ship’s skeletal figurehead holding a spear in one hand and a chalice of fire in the other, the massive boat is quite the sight on the horizon. Here’s how you can transform the ship’s bowsprit icon into a phantasmic lamp for your child’s bedroom.
Time: 1 hour
What You’ll Need
- Lamp with a medium-sized plain lampshade (the one shown here is about 7- by 9.5-inches)
- Off-white craft or scrapbook paper
- Brown pencil
- Wax paper
- Glue sealer (such as Mod Podge)
- Small paintbrush or foam brush
- Damp paper towel
How To Make It
- Print the template and use the pieces to cut a skeleton hand and arm bones from craft or scrapbook paper.
- Working on a wax paper-covered surface, use a brown pencil to shade the ends of the bones where the joints meet, as shown. Shade along the edges of the fingers too, as well as the palm and arm bone pieces (this will add contrast when the pieces are on the lampshade).
- Flip the large arm bone over and paint the back with glue sealer, making sure you spread the glue right to the edges. Then press the bone, glued side down, onto the lower left corner of the lampshade. Don’t worry if it extends below the shade a bit; you can trim it later. Press and smooth the paper with your fingertips to stick it firmly to the lampshade. Use a damp paper towel to wipe any excess glue from your fingers or the shade, if needed.
Note: For this step, it may be easier to work with the lampshade on the lamp base. Just be sure to unplug the lamp while you’re working on it.
- Next, glue the small arm bone beside the large bone on the shade. Then glue the palm piece above them, leaving a small gap. Finally, glue on the fingers, this time leaving a small gap between them and the palm piece.
- Apply a top coat of glue sealer to all the pieces, again going right to the edges of the paper. Once the glue dries, plug in the lamp and turn it on so you can check out your hand-iwork.
Cutting should be done by an adult.