R2-D2 helps your little ones warm up with this hot water bottle cover.
Time: 1 hour
What You’ll Need
- 1/3 yard white fleece
- 1/4 yard light gray fleece
- Fleece or felt pieces – dark blue, black, red
- Sewing machine w/ gray thread
- Hot water bottle
How To Make It
- Print out the pieces from the PDF provided. Match the colored arrows tip to tip and tape pieces together for the Back Body and Front Body pieces.
- Cut out the Front Head piece from gray fleece and the Front Body and Back Body pieces from white fleece. Cut out the detail pieces from the appropriate colors in felt and/or fleece, according to the pattern provided.
- Fold and pin the bottom edge (flat edge) of the Front Head under 1/4″ to the wrong side. Sew along the edge, removing pins as you sew. Fold and pin the top edge of the Front Body under 1/4″ to the wrong side. Sew along the edge, removing pins as you sew.
- Assemble the detail pieces onto the Front Head and Front Body Pieces according to the layouts in the pattern provided. Pin pieces in place.
- Sew detail pieces onto the Front Head and Front Body. Use gray thread to add extra details to the body, if desired, as indicated by dashed lines on the Front Body pattern piece.
- Lay out the Back Body piece right side up. Place the Front Head piece right-side down (so right sides are facing) on top of the Back Body, matching the top edge. Place the Front Body right-side down (so right sides are facing) on top of the Back Body, matching up the bottom edge. Pin all around.
- Sew around all edges with 1/4″ seam allowance. Add extra re-enforcing stitches where the Front Head and Front Body pieces meet by doing 2-3 back and forth stitches over the meeting point. Clip bottom corners and curves at the top, careful to avoid cutting into stitches.
- Turn the head and body through the opening. The hot water bottle cover is complete! Fill the hot water bottle according to manufacturer’s instructions and place it inside the body, then pull the head over the top. Whistle whistle beep beep!
This was made for a standard 2 quart hot water bottle approx. 7.5″ x 13.5″ when laid flat. You may need to slightly adjust the pattern to fit your hot water bottle.
Cutting and sewing should be done by an adult.