Everybody knows that the Toy Story aliens are dedicated to The Claw, but come Christmastime, they’re also happy to help out the great Claus. Dressed as Santa’s elves, these tabletop extraterrestrials will spread a triple dose of holiday cheer.
Time: 30 minutes
What You’ll Need
- Green cardstock
- Plain or textured craft paper, red and white
- Glue stick
- Glue dots
- Googly eyes (½ inch wide or so)
- Jumbo wooden craft sticks (one for each elf)
- 2 cardboard paper towel tubes
How To Make It
- Print the first page of the template on green card stock and the second page on ordinary white paper. Fold the green template page in half vertically, and cut the doubled-up card stock into rectangles so that each has a printed alien face on it, as shown. Now cut out each face, going through both layers of card stock to create a matching back at the same time.
- Use the pieces on the second template page as patterns to cut out matching pairs of the hat and trim shapes from the specified colors of craft paper for each alien. Again, fold pieces of craft paper in half vertically (as you did in step 1) so you can cut out both parts at once.
- To assemble each elf, first stick three googly eyes on the face where indicated. Then glue the trim on both of the hat shapes. Glue the bottom edge of the front hat piece to the top of the face, as shown.
- Turn the assemble pieces face down, and use glue dots to stick the top of a wooden craft stick to the back of the card stock, as shown.
- Glue the matching head shape to the back of the face, sandwiching the craft stick between them. Next, glue the second hat shape to the back of the first, matching up all the edges.
- Cut a piece from one of the cardboard tubes that is the same length as the uncovered portion of the craft stick.
- Cover the tube with a strip of red craft paper, overlapping the edges by an inch or so and using glue dots to secure them. Trim the top and bottom of the tube with wavy-edged strips of white craft paper. Use bits of a glue dot to attach 2 or 3 small buttons to the front of the tube.
- Finally, apply a couple glue dots to the front of the craft stick. Then, insert the stick into the decorated tube, and press it up against the inner front so that it sticks to the cardboard.
Cutting should be done by an adult.