Hearty gumbo, from-scratch beignets, fluffy hotcakes — if you love cooking for others as much as Tiana does, then you probably have dozens of recipes in your own collection. Inspired by The Princess and the Frog, this recipe box will help you keep all of your cherished recipes tucked away in a safe place. We love that it’s embellished with a few of Tiana’s favorite things, including the copper gumbo pot that Tiana’s dad used to cook from. A dash of this, a pinch of that — cookin’ up that old favorite family recipe just got that much easier!
What You’ll Need
- Paper-mache book box
- Green and cream acrylic paint
- Gold paint or metallic marker
- Paper roll
- 3-inch piece silver cord or twine
- 2 1-inch pieces black twine
- 2 small cylinder wood beads
- 2-inch square piece of green felt
- 4-inch square piece of white felt
- 10 2-inch pieces of yellow yarn
- White feathers
- 6 craft pearls
- Mini cutlery charms
- Letter stickers, to spell out “Recipes”
- The Princess and the Frog printable
- Hot glue
How To Make It
- Paint the paper-mache box. Use dark green paint for the cover and cream-colored paint for the “pages.” After the paint has dried completely, use gold paint or a metallic marker to embellish the spine of the book box and to create border lines for the cover.
- To make Tiana’s gumbo pot, cut 2 inches off of the end of a paper roll. Press the tube down flat, making creases on both sides. To create a dent, cut out a small “V” from the top center of one end of the roll. Color the roll, inside and out, with copper or gold paint, or a metallic marker. Allow to dry completely. To create the lip of the pot, cut a piece of silver cord and attach it to the top edge of the pot with hot glue.
- To create handles, pierce 2 tiny holes on each side of the gumbo pot. Thread the end of a 1-inch piece of black twine through one of the pair of holes created. Glue the twine end down to the inside of the pot, then thread one bead through the open end. Thread the other open end of the twine through the second hole. Glue the twine end down to the inside of the pot. Repeat this step to create a second handle on the other side of the pot. Tie a bow around the gumbo pot with red ribbon.
- Trace the shape of a lily pad (about 2 inches) on green felt, then cut it out. Trace 7 teardrop-shaped petals (each about 1 ½ inches long) on white felt, then cut them out. To create the yellow lily center, gather 10 short strands of yellow yarn, then use one of the strands to tie the rest together. Snip off any excess yarn, leaving a ½-inch cluster of filaments with a knot at its base. Glue all the pieces together to create a complete water lily.
- To create Tiana’s feathered hairpiece, glue the craft pearls together to create a flower-like cluster. Glue the quill to the center of the pearl flower.
- Glue the gumbo pot, water lily, feathered hairpiece, cutlery charms, and printable to the book box. Attach letter stickers to spell out the word “Recipes” to complete the recipe book. Fill the box with your most cherished recipes. It’s time to get cooking!
All cutting should be handled by an adult.