Even after he’d been transformed into an enchanted candelabrum, Lumiere remained a dedicated servant to the prince-turned-beast. Thanks to his and Cogsworth’s efforts to convince the Beast to soften his ways, Belle eventually grew to love him — and the spell they had all been under was finally broken. Just like the original, this tissue tube candelabrum is a natural at lighting up a room. Tap one of his arms and he’ll even bob in true animated fashion.
Time: 30 minutes
What You’ll Need
- Cardboard egg carton
- Craft knife
- 3 toilet tissue tubes or a gift wrap tube
- Scrap cardboard
- Acrylic craft paint (yellow and white) and paintbrush
- Low temperature glue gun or tacky glue
- 2 yellow pipe cleaners
- Googly eyes
- Black permanent marker
How To Make It
- Cut five cups from the egg carton and trim the tops evenly.
- For the candles, use the craft knife to cut one 3-inch length and two 1 1/2-inch lengths from two of the tissue tubes. Reserve the third tube for the candlestick holder.
- Cut the following pieces from the thin cardboard: one 4-inch circle for the candlestick holder base and three candle flames (one about 2 1/2 inches from the tip to the bottom of the wick and two slightly smaller). Then, set the candles upright on the cardboard, trace around the bottoms, and cut out the circles to use for candle tops.
- Paint the candles and the candle tops white and all the other pieces yellow. Let the paint dry.
- Make a horizontal slit in each candle top and a vertical snip in the bases of each flame, as shown. Insert each of the snipped wicks into a candle top, bend the wick tabs in opposite directions, and glue them to the underside of the candle top. Then glue the tops onto the candles.
- To assemble the candelabrum, glue an egg cup to the center of the base circle and then glue the bottom of the reserved tube into the cup. Cut a pair of 3/8-inch notches in the upper sides of the tube.
- Twist the two pipe cleaners together to use for the candelabrum arms. Then, use the pushpin to poke a hole in the bottom of a remaining egg cup and insert the tip of the twisted pipe cleaners through it about a quarter of an inch.
- Separate the pipe cleaner ends inside the cup and bend them in different directions so they won’t slide back through. Attach another egg cup to the opposite side of the pipe cleaners in the same way.
- Press the center portion of the arms down into the notches of the holder tube. Then, glue the last two egg cups, one inside the other, to the top of the holder, fitting the bottom cup into the tube atop the arms.
- Glue the short candles into the side cups and the large candle into the center cup.
- Finally, create a face on the center candle by gluing on googly eyes and drawing on the other features with a marker.
Cutting should be done by an adult.