Buzz and Woody fans can use a printable template to design a Western- or space-themed pennant to make the perfect party, playspace or kids’ room decoration.
What You’ll Need
- Stiffened felt, 18″ x 12″ pieces in assorted colors
- Adhesive backed craft foam
- Craft cork circles
- Template, printed from Disney Preschool
- Tempera paint, assorted colors
- Paint brushes
How To Make It
- Divide your felt into 2, 6" wide strips. Measure the felt lengthwise, and make a mark every 6" along the top of the felt. Once you have your 6" sections marked, measure along the bottom of the felt and make marks that divide each 6" section in half. Finally, use your ruler to connect your top marks to your bottom marks creating triangles, as shown. Cut out your triangles. Each 18 x 12" piece of felt should yield 8 triangles.
- Preschoolers love stamping, and stamps make it easy for kids to replicate the design of these pennants. To design your stamps, download the printable template here: Toy Story Party Pennant. After printing the template, cut out the designs and trace them onto adhesive backed craft foam. Then cut out the shapes and stick them onto the cork circles as shown.
- Before decorating your pennant, protect your work surface. Paint the craft foam stamps and press them onto the felt. Felt is porous; you may need to use a brush to even out the stamped design. Have fun decorating and let kids help paint on the details. Let dry (this may take a few hours, depending on the thickness of the felt).
- After the paint has dried, use your ruler and measure along the top of the triangle and make marks 2" from each side. Use the marks to cut two holes using a hole-punch. Measure a length of yarn long enough to string up your triangles. Tape off the end of the yarn using scotch tape; this will make it easier to thread your pennant together.
- Thread the yarn through the holes, a great practice for preschoolers working on their hand-eye coordination.
- Design tips for Woody: If you want to make a Woody-themed pennant use the cowboy shapes — like the cactus, cowboy boot and sheriff's badge and stars. Use felt primary colors like blue, yellow and red. Take inspiration from Woody's outfit; paint a cow print onto white felt, and a red plaid onto yellow felt to mimic Woody's shirt.
- Design tips for Buzz : Choose felt in Buzz's signature neon green and purple. Use circle stamps to make planets, and green aliens and star stamps to continue the space theme.
Posted 5 years Ago