I’m incorporating the colorful, heartwarming film Up into my holidays! This whimsical take on a tree topper reminds me that adventure is out there — even in my own home. With just a few materials, you can bring the magic of Up to your Christmas tree, too!
For more Disney magic, try making a colorful “it’s a small world” Wreath:
What You’ll Need
- Cardboard or cardstock
- Colorful felt
- Hot glue
- Red and green sparkly felt
- Gold floral wire
How To Make It
- Start by cutting out each piece of the house from cardboard or cardstock. See the photo for reference.
- Use this photo to match up each piece with its colored felt and cut out using your template.
- Glue the house together.
- Cut out lots of little balloon shapes from the felt. Cut out the red and green from sparkly felt as a nod to the holidays.
- Cut out a large balloon shape from the cardboard or cardstock, as a backing to glue the felt balloons onto. Then glue.
- Cut out a backing for the house as well and glue it on. This will help reinforce the shapes.
- Trim off a few pieces of floral wire and straighten them out. Then glue them together behind the chimney on the backside of the house. Make sure they are fanned out at the top.
- Glue the large piece with all the little balloons to the other end of the wires.
- To hold the house to your tree, cut another piece of floral wire and wrap it lightly around a pencil. Then remove pencil, and straighten out one end.
- Glue this end to the back bottom of the house. Then the top of your tree can go inside the spiral. (You can make it as long as you want to help keep the house standing straight.)
All cutting and gluing should be done by an adult.