Every year around the holidays I like to make at least one new piece of décor for my home. This vintage-inspired Mickey Mouse garland is the perfect homemade decoration to keep for years to come! Put on a holiday movie, grab your sewing kit, and get creative with those sequins! Keep reading to learn how to make your own!
What You’ll Need
- Mickey template printed onto cardstock paper
- Red, green, and off-white felt
- Batting or stuffing
- Red, green and white thread
- Silver and gold sequins in various sizes
- Silver or gold seed beads (Make sure they are larger than the holes in the sequins, but smaller than your smallest sequin.)
- Jute string
- Hot glue
How To Make It
- Download and print the Mickey templates onto cardstock, and carefully cut out.
- Trace Mickey-shapes onto all three colors of felt. You’ll need six Mickey shapes of each felt color. Carefully cut out.
- Line up your Mickey shapes in piles of two.
- Begin to decorate the top layer of each felt Mickey pair. Create a vintage-inspired pattern by stitching on sequins and beads. Play with creating “snowflakes” or a repeating pattern. Each Mickey can have it’s own unique look to make it extra fun and festive.
- Cut two small slits in the bottom layer of each felt Mickey pair. Thread the jute string through to connect them all. Alternately, hot glue the bottom layer of each felt Mickey pair onto the jute string.
- Flip the garland over, then begin attaching the decorated felt Mickey layer by either stitching around the edges, or using hot glue. Leave a small section open, add the stuffing, and stitch the edge to finish.
- Repeat until every Mickey on your garland is complete!
All cutting and hot gluing should be done by an adult.