The volley bugs of Pixie Hollow certainly are a bunch of good sports. They literally roll themselves up so the fairies can bat them back and forth over the net. Modeled after the jovial little insects, these craft stick puppets are equally ready to take center stage for some fun and games.
What You’ll Need
- Template for Volley Bug Stick Puppets
- 8.5- by 11-inch sheets of heavyweight craft paper or cardstock, lavender and blue
- Flexible black craft wire or black pipe cleaner
- Glue dots
- Black marker
- Wooden craft spoons
How To Make It
- Print the first page of the template on lavender paper or cardstock and the second page on blue.d8i
- For each bug, cut a 2.5-inch length of craft wire or pipe cleaner and bend it into a V-shape for the antennae. Use a glue dot to attach it to a head back, as shown.
- Use more glue dots to stick the face on top of the first head piece, sandwiching the base of the antennae between them.
- Next, pencil four sets of legs on the body, as shown, using the dots as starting points.
- Once you have them the way you like, go over the pencil lines with marker.
- Stick the top of a wooden craft spoon to the back of the body.
- Snip the shell along the lines 1/4 to 1/2 inch in from the edge on both sides to create tabs, as shown.
- Place the body atop the shell and fold the tabs down onto the body, as shown. Start with the top and bottom tabs followed by the ones closest to them. Fold the middle tab last and use a glue dot to hold it down (this tab will hold all the others in place).
- Stick the head to the top of the body and your puppet is ready to put on a show. Or you can turn a bunch of volley bugs into a decorative display by sticking the spoon handles into a small pot of dried beans or clean sand.