Is someone in your household in the market for a new stocking this Christmas season? Here’s the buzz from Andy’s room. Fashioned after Woody’s fancy footwear, this felt cowboy boot is the perfect size for Santa to stuff with candies and trinkets. Likewise, it makes a nice party favor to fill with little goodies and send home with young holiday guests.
Time: 1 hour
What You’ll Need
- Straight pins (for pinning the template to the felt)
- Felt (two large sheets of tan, scraps of yellow, scraps of brown)
- Stiff felt (black)
- Hot glue gun
- 4 gold buttons, seeing needle, thread (optional)
How To Make It
- Print out the template and cut out the pieces. Tape the boot top to the boot bottom, overlapping the pieces by 1/2 inch to create a pattern for the boot. Then use it to cut out two matching boots (one for the front and one for the back) from tan felt. Cut the remaining pieces out of felt as specified on the template pieces.
- Arrange the boot front and the sole, as shown, so that the sole extends 1/4 inch below the bottom.
- Holding the pieces together, flip them over and glue the sole to the back of the boot front. Now glue the two boot pieces together, matching up all the edges and sandwiching the sole between them. (Note: Because the sole is cut from stiff felt, it helps hold the shape of the boot.)
- Glue the heels in place (one to the front and the other to the back), matching up the bottoms with the lower edge of the sole.
- Glue the two spur wheels one atop the other to make a single thicker one, and then set it aside. Next, snip two small vertical slits in the round portion of each spur arm and thread a spur strap through them, as shown.
- Place one of the spur arm/strap assemblies on the front of the boot so that the vertical strap falls right in front of the heel and the end of the arm extends a bit beyond the boot.
- Glue the pieces in place, folding the straps around to the back of the boot. Glue the remaining arm/strap to the back of the boot. This time, trim the ends instead of wrapping them around to the front. Now glue the extended portion of the spur arms together, sandwiching the spur wheel between them.
- Create a top loop for each side of the boot by stacking and gluing together the two layers.
- Fold the loops in half, sandwiching the boot tops between the ends, and glue them in place, as shown.
- If you like, finish the stocking off with an extra decorative touch by sewing gold buttons to the centers of the spur wheels and the ends of the spur arms where the straps thread through.
Cutting and gluing should be done by an adult.