Aladdin’s pet monkey Abu tended to take things that didn’t belong to him, a habit that got the two of them into some serious fixes. In the Cave of Wonders, for instance, he helped himself to a ruby, after which the cave began to collapse. Still, it was Abu’s quick antics that foiled Jafar’s attempt to steal the lamp from Aladdin. With a handful of candy and nuts, you can create a batch of monkey-face cupcakes that look every bit as mischievous as their namesake.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 35 mins
What You’ll Need
- Chocolate cupcakes
- Chocolate frosting
- Caramel candy
- Waxed paper
- Rolling pin
- 2 white chocolate chips
- 2 mini chocolate chips
- Red decorator’s frosting or gel
- Gum drop candy
- Almond slices
How To Make It
- Frost the cupcake and set it aside while you create the monkey’s facial features.
- Microwave a caramel candy for up to 6 seconds to slightly soften it. Then sandwich the candy between two pieces of waxed paper and use the rolling pin to flatten it to about 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut two ovals (about 1 1/2 inch by 1 inch) out of the flattened caramel. Trim the upper edge of one oval to resemble the top of a heart. Now create the monkey’s face by arranging the two ovals so that the upper edge of the untrimmed one overlaps the bottom of other, as shown.
- Use the tip of a toothpick to poke holes through the caramel where the eyes and the nostrils should go.
- Press two white chocolate chips, tips down, onto the caramel where the eye holes are. Top each white chocolate chip with a mini chocolate chip, using dabs of frosting to stick them in place.
- Now place the face on top of the cupcake and use red decorator’s frosting or gel to add a mouth.
- Cut a small strip from the remaining scraps of flattened caramel and scrunch one edge slightly to resemble a bit of fur for the top of the monkey’s head. Gently press it in place. Then slice a gum drop down through the center and use one half for a hat.
- For the finishing touch, add a pair of almond sliver ears.