Let Disney on Broadway take you around the world in four courses with a set of recipes inspired by Disney’s Tony award winning musical comedy, Aladdin.
On this stop, we visit India for an apricot and pistachio cake, topped with cardamom infused whipped cream!
For more recipes and inspiration, watch below!
Apricot and Pistachio cake with Cardamom Whipped Cream
- ¾ cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1¼ cups ground pistachios
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup walnuts, finely ground
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- pinch of salt
- 18 small apricots, halved and pitted
- Juice of one squeezed lemon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
This recipe was inspired by Plenty More by Yotam Ottolenghi.
Cutting should be done by an adult.
Preheat the oven to 375ºF
2) Place the butter, sugar, and pistachios in a bowl and beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
3) Add the eggs one at a time and continue to beat until well incorporated.
4) Stir in the finely ground walnuts, flour, vanilla, lemon zest, and pinch of salt.
Spray a 9-in cake pan with cooking spray. Pour in cake batter and level the top.
7) Arrange the apricot halves, skin side down and slightly overlapping, over the top, right to the edge.
8) Bake in the oven for 70 to 80 minutes, covering with aluminum foil if the top starts to brown too much.
9) While the cake is baking, make the glaze by mixing together the lemon juice and powdered sugar.
10) When the cake is finished, allow to cool slightly. Remove the cake from the pan when still slightly warm, so the cake does not stick.
11) While the cake is cooling, make the whipped cream by whipping the cream, powdered sugar, and cardamom together.
12) Top slightly cooled cake with the lemon glaze, additional chopped pistachios, and top with a dollop of the cardamom whipped cream.