Oh, what a sight! Oh, what a dream! A multi-layer beehive cake is the perfect centerpiece for a party inspired by Winnie the Pooh.
Prep Time:1 hr 20 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time:1 hr 50 mins
What You’ll Need
- 6 layers of 8-inch vanilla cake
- Yellow dyed frosting
- 10-inch cake board
- Serrated knife
- Offset spatula
- 2 toothpicks
How To Make It
- Begin by preparing your favorite vanilla cake batter. Recipe should make 5-6 layers of 8″ cake.
- Bake your cake as usual, according to the recipe instructions. Most cakes bake at 350ºF for approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Allow cake layers to cool in their pans before removing them.
- Once cake layers are completely cooled and removed from pans, size down each cake layer before building your cake. Using a serrated or sharp knife, carefully cut 1/4 inch of cake off the sides starting from the second layer and continuing through to the last layer making sure to shave 1/4 inch more than the last layer for an overall beehive look (large to smaller layers).
- Create rounded edges for your cake layers. Place your knife at an angle and carefully carve the corner edges of your cake. Repeat for both top and bottom edges of each cake layer.
- Crumb coat and frost each cake layer separately. Place layers in the refrigerator to set frosting for ease of cake construction.
- Using a cake board one to two inches larger than your cake, spread a dollop of frosting in the center of the board, then place the first largest cake layer on top of the board.
- Add a half cup of frosting on top of the cake layer and spread evenly over it using an offset spatula.
- Add the next largest cake layer, continuing from largest to smallest, ending with the smallest cake layer on top.
- To make the beehive doorway, frost a half circle portion of the leftover carved cake and secure it to the front of the beehive with two toothpicks.
Posted 1 year Ago