Of all the characters Alice meets up with during her adventures in Wonderland, the Cheshire Cat is undoubtedly one of the most intriguing. This mischievous feline has a habit of materializing at will, first in the Duchess’s kitchen, then on the branch of a tree, and later in the Queen’s croquet court. Inspired by the crafty cat that bemuses Alice, this cupcake is all grins — and likely to disappear in the blink of an eye.
Prep Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
What You’ll Need
- A chocolate cupcake
- Cupcake frosting, tinted light purple or lavender
- Sour apple gummy ring
- Kitchen knife
- Skittles candies, 2 yellow ones for the eyes and 1 purple one for the nose
- Black decorator’s gel or icing
- A few chocolate sprinkles
- Black or purple gumdrop
How To Make It
- Frost half of the cupcake top, spreading the frosting in a wide arc that resembles a grin.
- Flip over the sour apple gummy ring so the white side faces up. Cut a small section away from the top of the ring, as shown (an adult’s job).
- Now score the candy to create wide teeth (again, adults only).
- Place the gummy teeth on the frosted portion of the cupcake, pressing down lightly to stick the candy in place.
- Set the candies for the nose and eyes in place, centering them on the cupcake at the upper edge of the frosting. Top each eye with a small dot of black decorator’s gel or icing.
- For whiskers, arrange a few chocolate sprinkles on both sides of the nose.
- For the finishing touch, cut two matching triangles from the gumdrop and use dabs of frosting to stick them in place for the ears.