While Dumbo was supposed to wave a “D” flag when he reached the top of the elephant tower, you can swap these out for the initial of that special birthday kid.
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 55 mins
What You’ll Need
- For Flags: 12 lollipop sticks, purchased from a craft store
- White construction paper
- Glue stick
- Alphabet stamps
- Blue stamp pad
- For Cupcakes: 2 cups white frosting
- 4 red fruit roll-ups
- Waxed paper
- 12 cupcakes, baked from your favorite recipe
How To Make It
- To make the flags, cut 12, 1″ by 2 1/2″ strips of white construction paper.
- For each flag, cover one side of the paper strip with glue. Place the end of a lollipop stick in the glue at the center of the strip of paper. Fold the paper in half, over the lollipop stick, and secure.
- Stamp a “D” in the center of your flag.
- Trim the ends of the flag, creating a “V.”
- To prepare the cupcakes, use kitchen scissors to cut petal shapes out of fruit roll-ups. You will need 5 petals per cupcake. Place cut petals onto waxed paper, so that they don’t stick. Preschoolers can help cut the fruit roll-ups using clean, child-safe, kitchen scissors. This is a chance for preschoolers to practice their cutting skills.
- Kids can help frost the cupcakes with white icing. Create a generous peak of frosting at the center of the cupcake — this is the roof of the circus tent.
- Place fruit petals on top of frosted cupcakes. The narrow end of the petal should point toward the center. The rounded end will drape over the side of the cupcake. These are the stripes on the roof of the tent. Helping arrange the stripes is a fun task for preschoolers.
- Place a “D” flag into the center of each big-top cupcake.
Posted 3 years Ago