Disguised as gingerbread cookies, these devices are the elves’ most important tools. Bake a batch of real cookies designed to look like GBMs for your little elves.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
What You’ll Need
- Gingerbread cookie dough (store bought or from your favorite recipe)
- Paring knife
- Parchment paper
- Black fondant (we used Wilton brand)
- Fondant roller
- White cookie frosting (store bought or from your favorite recipe)
- Rainbow candy (we used Mentos)
- Edible markers (green, red, and black)
Cutting the dough is a parent’s job.
Any dough you aren’t using should be kept in the fridge. Work in small batches so that the dough stays cold and is easy to work with.
How To Make It
- Begin by printing the Gingerbread Man Cookie Scanner template. Trace the pieces on parchment paper and cut them out. You will use the parchment paper templates as guides for cutting out your GBMs.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place a ball of cold gingerbread dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough to a quarter-inch thickness.
- Place the parchment gingerbread man template on top of the rolled dough, and use as a guide for cutting gingerbread men from the dough.
- As you cut out the gingerbread men, place them gently on the parchment-lined cookie sheet. They should be 1.5 inches apart — they will spread while baking.*
- Bake the cookies at 350 degrees F for 10 – 12 minutes, or until they are slightly golden around the edges. Let them cool completely before decorating.
- While the cookies are baking, roll out the black fondant to an eighth-inch thickness. If the fondant is too sticky you can add a little bit of flour. Be sure to work the flour into the fondant so that it doesn’t appear chalky.
- Use the scanner template as a guide to cut a scanner for each cookie. Each cookie has three buttons, two red and one green.
- Use edible markers to draw the GBM symbols on each button. The red buttons should have the Kringle academy and Wi-Fi symbols, the green button has a present.
- Once the cookies are cool, attach the fondant scanner and buttons to the cookie using white cookie frosting.
- Use the white cookie frosting to draw on a smile and two eyes.