Apples and peanut butter are a classic snack, and an unexpected treat when the apple looks like everyone’s favorite frog. Kermit comes alive when you carve a green apple to look like the world famous frog and you add marshmallow eyes and a red apple slice for his mouth. Serve the apple with a tasty peanut butter dip.
The Mickey Check makes it easier for kids and families to identify nutritious choices in stores, online, on-air, at live-event venues, and while on vacation at Walt Disney Parks & Resorts. Foods and recipes that feature the Mickey Check meet The Walt Disney Company’s Nutrition Guidelines. Click here for more Mickey Check recipes.
See the video tutorial of this recipe here.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 20 mins
What You’ll Need
- FOR KERMIT:
- 1 green apple
- 1 red apple
- 1 marshmallow
- Black edible marker
- Sharp paring knife
- FOR PEANUT BUTTER DIP:
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup marshmallow fluff
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
How To Make It
- Slice a green apple in half, from the stem to the end.
- Place half of the apple on your plate and reserve the other half.
- Trim two diagonal slices from the tapered end of the apple, making one end of the apple narrower.
- Use a sharp knife to carve a half moon-shaped smile into the center of the apple.
- Trim a slice of red apple into a matching half moon shape. Cut away most of the white of the red apple slice so that the skin is easy to bend.
- You will need to press the red apple slice into the opening in the green apple. Trim the skin until it fits snugly.
- Cut a marshmallow into 4 quarters. You will use two of the half circles for Kermit’s eyes.
- Use the black edible marker to draw on pupils.
- Press Kermit’s eyes onto the apple. The sticky marshmallow acts like glue, holding the eyes in place.
- Take your reserved green apple and trim a few triangle shapes. Place these around Kermit’s neck, as his ruffle.
- Mix the peanut butter and marshmallow fluff in a small bowl.
- Add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. The lemon juice will help loosen up the peanut butter and marshmallow, giving it a creamy consistency. It will also balance the sweetness of the marshmallow. Serve with sliced apples.