For years after Scar tricked him into believing he was responsible for Mufasa’s death, Simba didn’t believe he could follow in his father’s paw prints and assume the throne. But when Nala, his favorite lioness cub from childhood, inadvertently tracks him down, their friendship blossoms into love, and he reconsiders his destiny. With some sage counsel from Rafiki the monkey, he decides to step up for the job as King of the Pride Lands, and his beloved Nala becomes queen. Topped with caramel prints, these cookies will let your child put their best paw forward!
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
What You’ll Need
- Batch of baked sugar cookies
- Cookie sheet
- Waxed paper
- Powdered sugar
- Caramel candy cubes
- Rolling pin
- Small heart-shaped cookie or fondant cutter, about 1 1/4-inch wide
- Small oval cookie or fondant cutter, about 3/4-inch wide
- Wire cooling rack
How To Make It
- If you’ve just finished baking the cookies, leave the oven on. If not, heat the oven to 350 degrees. In either case, arrange the baked cookies on a baking sheet.
- Cover a countertop or cutting board with waxed paper. Sprinkle a little powdered sugar on the paper, and then place a caramel candy on it.
- Use the rolling pin to flatten the caramel into a thin (about 1/8-inch thick) circle. If the candy is too hard to roll out, you can soften it a bit before you unwrap it simply by holding it between your fingertips for a minute or so. If it’s too sticky, dust the caramel and the rolling pin with powdered sugar before rolling.
- Cut out a small heart and four small ovals from the rolled caramel, and arrange them atop a cookie to resemble the pads of a lion’s paw print. Do the same for each cookie.
- When all of the cookies on the sheet are topped with prints, heat them in the oven for 2 minutes to stick the caramel prints in place.
- Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.