Put a smile on with Mickey emoji sugar cookies!
Lemony Mickey Emoji Sugar Cookies
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar, plus 2 additional tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped and reserved
- Finely graded zest of ½ lemon
- 1 large egg
- Additional materials: Mickey cookie cutter
- Black, yellow, and red food coloring
- Pastry bag
- Round decorating tip
- For the royal icing: 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 1/3 cup water
In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
Put butter, granulated and confection’s sugars, vanilla seeds, and zest into a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Mix in egg. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in 3 batches; mix until combined.
Roll out dough between 2 pieces of floured parchment paper. Refrigerate until firm, about 45 minutes.
When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375˚F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Remove parchment from the dough and cut out Mickey shapes. Reroll scraps, and cut out. Space cookies 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until pale golden, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer cookies to rack to cool completely.
Make the royal icing: Put confection’s sugar, meringue powder, and 1/3 cup of water into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on low speed 10 minutes. Set aside ½ frosting to color black and divide the remaining frosting into 3rds for white, yellow and red colors. Transfer icing into pastry bags fitted with a small plain round decorating tip.
Decorate each Mickey cookie starting with piping an outline for the ears and then filling in the ears. Pipe faces. Use Mickey emoji face template as reference.