Santa’s going to love this Christmas Eve offering! Fashioned after two of his top-notch Prep & Landing elves, these cookies are more than a treat. They double as a sign that all is in order for the big guy’s arrival.
Prep & Landing Elf Cookies
- Batch of sugar cookie dough*
- Green food coloring
- Disposable food preparation gloves (for kneading food coloring into the dough)
- Wax paper
- Rolling pin
- Kitchen knife
- 2-inch round cookie or fondant cutter
- Baking sheet
- Wire cooling rack
- Tube of white decorating icing
- Thin chocolate cookies about 1.25 inches in diameter
- Green hard candies for goggles
- Orange jelly beans
- Red gummy raspberry candies (or other red candies for the elf hat pompoms)
- Yellow sprinkles
* Homemade sugar cookie recipes tend to work best for these cookies. If you choose one of the ready-made refrigerated doughs sold at grocery stores, keep in mind that they tend to spread. You may want to knead in additional flour to stiffen it and then bake a single cookie to see how the dough holds up. If it still loses shape, try kneading in a bit more flour and then chilling the cookies before you bake them.
Print out the template and cut out the elf hat shape.
Divide the cookie dough into two equal portions. Wrap one portion in plastic and keep it in the refrigerator while you knead green food coloring into the other portion.
Working on a flour-dusted piece of wax paper, roll out the green dough 1/4 inch thick. Use the template and a kitchen knife to cut elf hat shapes out of the green dough.
Then use a 2-inch round cookie cutter to cut a circle out of each hat for the elf’s face, as shown.
Now roll out the plain dough as you did the green. Using the same round cookie cutter, cut out plain dough faces and gently slip them into the circular openings in the green dough hats.
Use a spatula to transfer the completed elf heads to a baking sheet, and bake the cookies according to the recipe directions. Allow the baked cookies to cool briefly on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Create a pair of goggles for each cookie by using white decoratoring icing to glue green hard candies atop thin chocolate cookies. Then stick the mints to the cookie face. Use more icing to stick a jelly bean nose to the face and a gummy raspberry pompom to the tip of the hat.
If you like, stick a small pinch of yellow sprinkles to the top of the face to resemble a shock of hair.