A mixture of good ole boy, daredevil and know-it-all, Lightning McQueen’s sidekick makes a welcome guest at any party. These cute cupcakes will pull twice their own weight at your next Cars-themed birthday bash.
Prep Time: 40 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time:1 hr 5 mins
What You’ll Need
- 1 box cake mix
- 2 16 oz cans of milk chocolate frosting
- 16 oz can of vanilla frosting
- 6 cup large muffin baking pan
- 12 cup regular size cupcake baking pan
- 1 4 oz box of round fudge mint cookies
- Resealable plastic bag
- 12 White hard shelled chocolate candies (headlights)
- 12 Green hard shelled chocolate candies (eyes)
- 6 White rectangular gum pieces (teeth)
- 6 inch cardboard cake boards
- Black edible ink pen
How To Make It
- Coat both pans with non-stick spray. Prepare cake batter and fill both pans about 2/3 full. Bake as directed on the package and let cool.
- Count out 60 cookies and set aside. Place the remaining cookies in a resealable plastic bag and finely crush them with a rolling pin or glass.
- Set aside 12 green and 12 white hard shelled chocolate candies. (Use yellow if you can’t easily find the white ones.)
- For Mater’s teeth, cut each piece of gum into two pieces so one piece is larger than the other.
- Cut the tops off of 6 of the cupcakes so you can place them upside down for the truck bed. Before turning upside down, frost the sides and bottom (now top) with milk chocolate frosting and sprinkle with cookie crumbs
- Place the cupcakes, cut side down toward the back of a 6-inch cake board. Place a dollop of frosting on the board to help the cupcakes stay in place.
- Frost the sides of the larger muffin-size cupcakes. Sprinkle some of the crushed cookie pieces on the sides and then place on the cake board right in front of the other cupcake. Frost the top and sprinkle with more cookie crumbs. Attach one cookie to the front of each muffin-size cupcake for the mouth.
- For each tire, attach two cookies together using frosting and then attach two tires to the larger cupcake and two in back to the smaller cupcake.
- Place one more cookie on the top for the tire on Mater’s hood. Attach the teeth to the cookie mouth with a small amount of frosting.
- For the top of the trucks, first frost about half of each of the remaining cupcakes with vanilla frosting. You can place these in the freezer for a few minutes for the frosting to harden and then it will be easier to frost over the vanilla edges with chocolate frosting to finish Mater’s face. Frost the sides and top with chocolate and sprinkle with cookie crumbs.
- Attach two green hard shelled chocolate candies in place for eyes and two white hard shelled chocolate candies in place for headlights. Use a black edible ink pen to draw pupils on the eyes and when dry, you can use a toothpick to dot a small amount of vanilla frosting for extra detail. Heat it slightly in the microwave and it will be easier to dot on.
Posted 2 years Ago