My daughter is in love with the movie Brave. Well, obsessed is more like it. There’s not a day that goes by that she is not in her Merida outfit with her horse Angus, also known as Jack the Dog, pretending that she just turned me into a bear. With a little help from her, we created these cookies that always put smiles on her and her friend’s faces. Inspired by the movie Brave, these Will O’ the Wisp Cookies are light, airy, minty, and just as magical as the ethereal creatures that Merida Finds in the forest.
Prep Time: 12 mins
Cook Time:1 hr
Total Time:1 hr 12 mins
What You’ll Need
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint flavoring
- 15 drops blue food coloring
How To Make It
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer or in a stand up mixer with a whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until frothy. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and beat on high until the mixture is glossy and stiff peaks form, about 6 minutes. Add peppermint flavoring and blue food coloring and beat a few more seconds until just blended.
- Place the meringue mixture into a piping bag with a large tip. Pipe in 2 to 3 inch tall swirls on the parchment paper, leaving about 1 inch in between each meringue. Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour. Once finished, transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before serving. Read more of Meredith’s writing and recipes at InSockMonkeySlippers.com
And don’t miss a post! Follow Meredith on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest!