Sweet, loyal, and charmingly eccentric. That’s Goofy. Until Halloween, that is, when he tosses the green fedora and dons a new look that’s Franken-ly frightful.
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 55 mins
What You’ll Need
- Batch of chocolate cupcakes
- Wax paper
- Rolling pin
- Kitchen knife
- Disposable food preparation gloves (to wear while shaping the candy)
- Small chocolate chews
- Lime fruit rolls
- Green or purple candy sprinkles
- Sliced almonds
- Slivered almonds or white chocolate bits
- White cupcake frosting
- Chocolate chips
How To Make It
- Place a chocolate chew between squares of wax paper and flatten it with the rolling pin so that it measures about 1/2-inch square. (If the candy is too stiff, you can soften it a bit by microwaving it for five seconds or less.)
- Trim the rolled candy with a kitchen knife to resemble a flat topped Frankenstein-style head with tapered sides, as shown. Place the candy head on a wax paper-lined tray, and keep the candy trimmings to use later in step 8.
- Make heads for all the cupcakes and arrange them on the tray, spacing them a couple inches apart.
- Place two almond slices on each head, as shown.
- Next, make a muzzle and chin for each Franken Goofy by cutting a lime frut roll into thirds lengthwise. Shape one of the thirds into a muzzle wide enough to extend 1/4-inch or so beyond the head on both sides. Then cut another of the candy thirds into two equal pieces and shape one of them into a chin.
- Set the muzzle atop the upper edge of the chin. Add a slivered almond or white chocolate bit tooth to each side of the chin, tucking the top under the muzzle. Gently press the pieces together just enough to make them stick.
- Press the assemble muzzles atop the Franken Goofy heads on the tray so that they just slightly overlap the base of the almond slice eyes.
- Use bits of the reserved candy trimmings from step 2 to shape a tiny round nose (1/4 to 3/8 inch) and eye pupils (1/8-inch or so) for each face. Gently press the noses onto the muzzles. Use dabs of frosting (applied with the tip of a toothpick) to stick the eye pupils in place on the sliced almonds.
- Use the tip of a kitchen knife to score a 1/2-inch “cut” line in the top of each head, and then create stitch lines by scoring across the cut twice. Set a candy sprinkle atop each stitch line.
- For Goofy ears, cut the chocolate chews lengthwise into thirds. Shape each third into a thin curved ear, rounding the bottom and pinching the top to taper it into a point. Add a pair of ears to each Franken-Goofy head on the tray.
- Place the tray in the refrigerator until the candy is well chilled and stiff enough to hold its shape. Meanwhile, frost the cupcakes.
- Top each of the frosted cupcakes with a Franken-Goofy head. Add a pair of bolts to the top of each head by pressing chocolate chips (set on their sides) halfway into the icing, and chill the decorated cupcakes until serving time.
Posted 2 years Ago