No special skills are needed to put this together — it’s really simple and fun. The red and green layers are a festive surprise!
Prep Time:1 hr
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time:1 hr 25 mins
What You’ll Need
- 1 box white cake mix, plus ingredients needed to prepare
- 6 round sandwich cookies
- 8 oz white almond bark or vanilla candy coating
- 6 lollipop sticks
- Red, green, and black food coloring
- Vanilla Frosting: 3 sticks (1 1/2 cups) salted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Chocolate Ganache: 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup or honey
A cold cake is firm, making it easier to frost and level. Plan ahead and don’t skimp on chilling time!!
Yields 1 (8 inch) round layer cake.
How To Make It
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour two 8 inch round cake pans and set aside. Prepare cake batter according to box directions. Divide batter in half — color half green and the other half red with food coloring. Pour batter in prepared pans (one color per pan) and bake according to box directions. Let cakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then carefully remove to wire racks to continue cooling. Once cakes are room temperature, wrap and chill for a few hours until firm.
- While cakes chill, start preparing your “Jack Skellingtons”. Melt almond bark in the microwave according to package directions. Dip top 1/4 of lollipop sticks in melted candy and attach in the center of each cookie. Place on a wax paper lined baking sheet and refrigerate until firm. Once sticks are firmly attached, dip cookie pop in the melted candy to coat entire cookie. Return to wax lined sheet and refrigerate to set.
- Prepare frosting: In the bowl of your mixer, beat butter, vanilla, and heavy cream on medium low speed until combined. Change mixer speed to low and slowly add powdered sugar, beating until just mixed. Increase speed to high and beat for about a minute, until smooth and fluffy. Set aside a few tablespoons of frosting and color it black — put in a piping bag fitted with a #2 tip OR a resealable sandwich bag with a tiny corner snipped off. Using a serrated knife, level and frost chilled cake with remaining vanilla frosting, alternating layer colors. Chill cake for another hour or so, until frosting is cold to the touch.
- Prepare ganache: In a microwave safe bowl, microwave chocolate chips and heavy cream, stopping to stir every 20 seconds until smooth. Stir in corn syrup or honey and set aside until thickened and slightly cooled. Pour in the center of chilled, frosted cake, spreading to edges and letting it drip down the sides.
- Using your black frosting, pipe Jack Skellington faces on your cookie pops and insert in cake.